Saturday, December 31, 2011

Lines Plan

So, blogging has dropped off because I'm now in grad school. So far, I'm through with one semester (with several more to go). I'll have to take it relatively slowly, since I'm still working at the same time. That actually gives me some time to slowly consider what I want to take.

For one of my classes, I had to do a Lines Plan (sample below) by hand.

This meant lots of Saturdays spent meticulously measuring and drawing.
Body Plan


This is also where you get the phrase "ducks in a row"
Ducks in a row
The ducks are used to hold down a spline to draw a compound curve.

Here's the final result. It doesn't photograph too well, because it' s so big.

Most of the drafting-type classes have been eliminated from modern engineering curricula. That's something that MIT started in the 1940's under Vannevar Bush. It's funny, with some of the older engineers, they all have the exact same font to their print and that font exactly matches AUTOCAD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very cool. always thought ducks in a row was a poorboy hunting expression. i.e. make the best use of that one shotgun shell in the marsh.

is that the boat from the tulane quad?

if you come across any good blueprints for a 2-4 hen chicken coop let me know. all i can find on the net is pay to see the blueprint sites.

happy new year to yall and good luck to youse guys.

rickngentilly.