Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cole Slaw

It's Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. While I'm not Catholic, I wanted to lose a little weight so I'm going to go easy on meat. I'm very scared of seeing a 2 as the first digit for my weight.

The goal for Lent is less meat, no beef (for the most part, not cutting out Pho Tai), and no soda. We'll see how long I can make it. I'm cutting my Lent a week short to the wedding date.

To make it through, I'll need veggie recipes that don't suck. The easiest way is add a little pork, especially bacon. That makes the greens so much better. Right now, I'm trying some Gumbo Z'Herbs and I'll let y'all know how that comes out.

A couple of weeks ago, we made some Cole Slaw from scratch that was pretty good and pretty easy.

Here's how I made it:

1/2 a head of cabbage
1 carrot

Chop these as finely as possible. Soak in salted water for about an hour.
Soaking cabbage
The soak in salt water sort of "cooks" the veggies and softens them up
Rinse and Dry
When done, rinse to get the salt off and dry them off on some paper towels

Sauce:
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 onion, small dice
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. Creole mustard
Pepper
Cole Slaw Sauce
You like-a da sauce, eh?

Mix thoroughly and let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Should last 3 days or so.
Cole Slaw
After about 30 minutes of sitting in the fridge, we tried it and it was incredibly fresh and delicious. I don't know if I've ever actually had cole slaw that fresh before. Usually, it's made the night before at hot lunch places and it gets a bit goopy. This was anything but.

3 comments:

jeffrey said...

That looks amazing. I will be observing Lent tonight by executing the Oysters Mosca recipe that appeared in yesterday's T-P.

Not very weight-lossy, I know. But neither is the metric ton of sushi we ate at Kyoto last night.

Clay said...

Looks interesting. Lots of butter is a good sign.

I can't tell you how good the slaw was fresh. I've never really had it where it wasn't goopy and a little stale. Much, much better.

Clay said...

Also, I should mention the method of the recipe was inspired by America's Test Kitchen: Cooking for Two 2009.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Two-2009-Years-Recipes/dp/1933615435/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266693552&sr=8-1