Saturday, October 27, 2007

Report from Voodoo Fest


Went to Voodoo yesterday with Candice. Bumped into Ray. I was a little surprised at how the Voodoo organizers shoved Soul Rebels Brass Band in the smallest venue possible.

It was a bit chilly most of the day, but not too bad. I was extremely glad I brought a flashlight. Most of the day was OK, and then Rage took the stage.

Damn.

What a set! Rage started late, because they wanted more sound (they hooked in the second set of speakers around the sound booth). When the red star flag was unfurled, the crowd went nuts. About two thirds of the way through the set, Zack de la Rocha gave a speech about New Orleans. I can't remember his exact words, but the thrust of his speech went like this: 'Something finally dawned on me watching the Katrina coverage. The Federal Government is at war two places. One is in Iraq killing people in Baghdad, Fallujah, etc. The other is in New Orleans. You people [the audience] know more about it than I do, because you have to struggle here every day. New Orleans has such a deep and diverse history [I'm paraphrasing heavily here, I can't remember his exact wording]. Keep up the fight, because this country doesn't belong to Halliburton. It doesn't belong to real estate developers. It belongs to us!'

He said it quite matter-of-factly, but it was a great speech. If someone can help me with a better transcript or whatnot, I'd really appreciate it.

They closed the set with 'Killing in the Name Of.' [Later note- they changed the lyrics to "Some of those that hold office, are the same that burn crosses"]

UPDATE- Oh yeah, after Voodoo Fest, went to Mediterranean Cafe on Carrollton and had a great gyro sandwich. I haven't ordered a gyro form Mona's in a while because they aren't as good as they used to be, but now I've discovered a new favorite.

UPDATE 2- Rage rages at Voodoo Fest. Keith Spera's description of the set. Far and away the highlight of the weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, I wish I could have seen RATM. Damn.

Leigh C. said...

I know WWOZ was broadcasting live from the stage where the Soul Rebels were playing. Might want to check with them about RATM's performance last night.

asoom said...

Awesome! I'm excited for tomorrow, if someone gets a hold of a transcript of RATM's speech yesterday let me know. I wanna post it on my blog!

asoom said...

I hope you don't mind that I'm linking your blog!

Anonymous said...

You probably already know this, but if not check out Morello if/when he continues to tour as the Night Watchman - acoustic Rage, all the rage

hopefully he'll come back to NOLA soon