Been a while since I did a project truck update. Here's an update on some of the bodywork.
I've needed to replace the other side of the exhaust headers for a while and I finally got around to doing it.
Passenger side of engine from when I first bought truck
The exhaust came out easily, once I took the starter off.
Engine minus exhaust headers and starter. Note the wires dangling down and the big gear that the starter threads onto.
A dirty victory
New Header. More chrome.
I got a friend from work help Candice and me get the exhaust back on. It was quite an ordeal getting all the bolts lined up. Then, once the exhaust finally got on straight, it took a several days to get the starter back on.
The starter: the bane of my existence for the last 2 weeks
It wasn't because it was terribly difficult (although holding that starter up when you're on you back is a serious pain). Thunderstorms from our friend churning offshore kept progress to a standstill. Candice and I had to push the truck back and forth more times that we cared for. 5,500 lb. vehicles on slanted New Orleans driveways aren't easy to push.
And here's what it looks like after all that work.
I'm smiling because I don't have to push the truck again.
And here's the reward after getting the starter back in: the roar of a mighty V8 engine...
UPDATE- I forgot about a second update on the battle against rust.