Thursday, August 30, 2007

Why I started blogging...

I didn't post anything about the 2nd anniversary of Katrina, and to be honest with you, I wouldn't have had much to post... Nothing really hit me that day.

I've been blogging for about a little under a year now. Partly, it's an outlet and a place to vent. Partly, it's a way to post interesting stuff so I can come back to it later. All of that is just sort of secondary, though.

Here's the main reason I blog:

I took a class at Tulane with Dr. Powell at Tulane about the history of New Orleans. For the final paper, I was really busy and didn't have time to write my final essay until pretty late, so I just sat down and stream-of-conciousnessed an essay off the top of my head. I turned it in and he was so impressed with it, he said, 'You can't be an engineer! you've got to write. Surely, someone with a technical background who can write will be in great demand.' I don't remember the exact words, but that was the effect. He definitely said I shouldn't be an engineer, which I find pretty funny.

We talked and eventually, I resolved to keep up my writing. I do a fair amount of technical writing at work, but it's not conducive to keeping up creative writing skills. It took a while, but I did start a blog and I've kept writing. I feel like I'm really starting to "find my voice." Someday, I'd like to do something where I can combine my technical knowledge with my writing skills... In the meantime, I hope you enjoy my blog.

Anyway, in my next post, I'm printing the essay.

No comments: