In order to get it running, I first had to connect up the gas tank. I did it just like I described in the previous post.
Since Patches no longer has a roof over its head, it now has a nice new coat:
A never ending war with an old truck is the battle against the rust monster. I've cut out a big chunk and cut a patch panel to roughly fit and riveted it in place. I may come back and weld it in later.
I'm not entirely happy with the patch job, but rivets are easy to undo. Also, I've put in some duck tape to smooth out the edges.
Patches took forever to crank when I finally got to running it. I had to use the old trick of pouring a capful of fresh gasoline down the open throat of the carburetor. The gasoline (despite using Stabil) had volatilized away. After doing a good amount of work on it this past weekend, it felt really great to take it for a leisurely spin down Lakeshore Drive.