Friday, June 17, 2011

Nuclear Weapons Testing


After the introduction, the next 5 minutes of the video is an animation of global nuclear explosions through history (over 2,000).

I've been reading through Richard Rhodes' fantastic series of nuclear history. I've read "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" and I'm rapidly working my way through the "Twilight of the Bomb" book. I've got "Dark Sun" and will get to "Arsenals of Folley." Richard Rhodes is a fantastic writer and a great researcher. The first book, about Trinity, Little Boy, and Fat man, was written in the early 80's, and the last book was published just last year. That's an amazing stretch of attention to one topic.

Just wanted to post the video for now.

2 comments:

Peripatetic Engineer said...

I lived in Hiroshima for 2 years. Attended the 30th anniversary. I used to take a left every day on the bridge that was the aim point.

I then visited the Enola Gay exhibit at the Smithsonian.

And I have Paul Tibbets signature from a book signing at the D Day Museum.

A nuclear troika.

Leigh C. said...

I just read The Dead Hand. That's a good one, too, in terms of what the near-end of the Cold War wrought on both the Soviet Union AND the U.S. But Rhodes is the king of the history of nuclear weapons.

Another good one to pick up is The Firecracker Boys. Teller at one point wanted to demonstrate a peacetime capability of atomic weapons by taking what he thought was a completely desolate site up in Alaska and blasting a deepwater port into it. Incredible story.