Sunday, August 3, 2008

Starter Frustration

Been a while since I did a project truck update. Here's an update on some of the bodywork.

I've needed to replace the other side of the exhaust headers for a while and I finally got around to doing it.

Passenger side of engine from when I first bought truck

The exhaust came out easily, once I took the starter off.

Engine minus exhaust headers and starter. Note the wires dangling down and the big gear that the starter threads onto.

A dirty victory

Old exhaust.

New Header. More chrome.
I got a friend from work help Candice and me get the exhaust back on. It was quite an ordeal getting all the bolts lined up. Then, once the exhaust finally got on straight, it took a several days to get the starter back on.


The starter: the bane of my existence for the last 2 weeks

It wasn't because it was terribly difficult (although holding that starter up when you're on you back is a serious pain). Thunderstorms from our friend churning offshore kept progress to a standstill. Candice and I had to push the truck back and forth more times that we cared for. 5,500 lb. vehicles on slanted New Orleans driveways aren't easy to push.

And here's what it looks like after all that work.

I'm smiling because I don't have to push the truck again.

And here's the reward after getting the starter back in: the roar of a mighty V8 engine...


UPDATE- I forgot about a second update on the battle against rust.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bee-yute of a truck.

Tim said...

Nice! At least there's a lot of room in there to work on it. Imagine trying to do something like that on a new car where there's no more than an eyelash clearance between components.

It's a lot of work but I know you're loving it.

Peace,

Tim

Anonymous said...

I hope you took the opportunity to have the starter reconditioned in the two weeks that it was on the loose.

Clay said...

I've been working on it on the weekends for almost a year now. It's coming along slowly, but surely. My neighbor commented that "It'll be a real antique by the time you're done."

Some modern cars aren't too bad when it comes to space. Others are a nightmare. But, there's plenty of room in the truck.

Didn't touch the starter internals. Didn't think to. As much as I abuse that starter, though, it seems to be ok.

Anonymous said...

nice skill