Saturday, December 16, 2006

About this blog

NOLA-dishu is what some of the locals have started to call New Orleans. Other monikers include Little Nigeria, the Big Sleazy, Big Smelly, and Big Nasty.

Life down here sort of sucks. Many are leaving the city. But, there's a hardcore group of New Orleanians who are sticking it out. The following quote is pretty much our credo:


************************************************************************************************************
“Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under a lava flood of taxes and frauds and maladministrations so that it has become only a study for archaeologists. Its condition is so bad that when I write about it, as I intend to do soon, nobody will believe I am telling the truth. But it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio.”

— Lafcadio Hearn, nineteenth century author and observer of New Orleans culture.


***********************************************************************************************************

I'm going to try to chronicle at least one little piece of life in New Orleans. A lot of what I post will be dark. Especially when I talk about crime in the city. Some of it will be upbeat, like when I talk about the Saints. I also promise to put together a sort of post-Katrina Zagat's guide of New Orleans restaurants.


Anyway, Here goes nothing!


No comments: